Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Summer Strawberry Walnut Salad


Today has been a rainy and cloudy day. I am still surprised by the weather in Florida. Now I remember my physical geography class when we talked about different climates and the teacher mentioned tropical climate:-) Anyways, when a day is grey, it puts me asleep and it feels lovely to bring more bright colors in life. So, I decided to make a summer salad which was sweet, delightful and colorful. The only thing which I forgot to include was Gorgonzola cheese. When I remembered about it, it was too late:-) I thought that walnuts and cheese are always win-win combination. Next time, I will remember about my cheese:-) So, here is the recipe:

Ingredients

Salad mix (Washed and dried. I got spinach and arugula mix but spring mix should be fine as well)
1 package of fresh strawberries (washed and dried)
1 cup of walnuts (finely chopped)
1 tablespoon of agava nectar
1/2 orange (for juice)
1/4 cup of olive oil
1 tablespoon of balsamic vinegar
Salt and pepper

Instructions

1. Heat a small skillet over medium-small heat. Put the nuts on the skillet and toast them for 10 minutes tossing occasionally. Add agava nectar and toast for another five minutes tossing from time to time.

2. Meanwhile, cut each strawberry in half from top to bottom and each half in two small halves.

3. For the sauce, in a small bowl, combine orange juice, olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Add salt and pepper according to your taste.

4. On plates or in a salad bowl, place the salad, add fresh strawberries, walnuts and drizzle the sauce.

* Next time, I want to try to toast nuts with brown sugar. This way they should be crunchier.

* You can use any nuts you like. I thought pecans should be also delicious:-)

* If you like other fruits, oranges or cranberries will be awesome!

Bon Appetit!









No comments:

Post a Comment